Inflammation Research Association Announces
Interactive Job Board Focused on Immunology and Inflammation Opportunities
Pfizer – Discovery Group Leader: Leukocyte-Tissue Interface
Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts
The Research Fellow/Group Leader will be responsible for building and leading a cross-disciplinary team of scientists with expertise in Inflammation and Immunology (autoimmunity), Internal Medicine (metabolic and cardiovascular disease), and Oncology (immuno-oncology) that leverages cross-research unit science and expertise to support the development of novel therapeutics at the intersection between immunology and these respective disciplines. He/She will manage and establish strategy for a team that will effectively and rapidly advance the biologic foundation in breaking areas of science using cutting edge technologies including optical microscopy and high content screening, systems immunology and single cell RNA techniques (scRNAseq, spatial transcriptomics, perturb-seq)
- Develop a collaborative research program on resident and infiltrating leukocytes as applied to diseases in areas of Inflammation, Internal Medicine and Oncology that will have cross-research unit impact.
- Utilize diseased tissues, sourced from experimental animal models and biopsies obtained from patients to better understand tissue-immune system cross-talk, with the ultimate goal of identifying novel drug targets to selectively modulate pathologic tissue states.
- Function as the “key-opinion leader” of the group and generate supportive collaborations with external experts working in the area of the tissue-leukocyte interface.
- Ensure scientific excellence in the design, execution, analysis, and interpretation of experiments in the context of applied research.
- Guarantee that data generation, analysis, and retention is handled in a compliant manner ensuring the highest quality and integrity of findings.
- Deliver projects and assay platforms with clear cost- and time-conscience plans.
- Support the basic science effort at Pfizer by delivering quality assays, research platforms and new portfolio programs with high survival to Proof of Concept, thus building an innovative portfolio that will offer demonstrably better medicines for the treatment of difficult to treat chronic diseases.
- Influences the global external environment through thought leadership, participation at national and international meetings, and visible and active engagement with key scientific opinion leaders to ensure the group makes the appropriate investments.
- Provide inspirational and visible leadership, being open to ideas generated from within the RU regardless of the source.
- Champions projects generated internally, via external collaborations, collaboration with Pfizer’s Center for Therapeutic Innovation (CTI), or from unique partnering opportunities, thus ensuring a robust and competitive portfolio of programs and platforms.
- Provides inspirational leadership to the exploratory effort, focused scientific leadership with direct reports by providing growth opportunities, routine coaching, and a clear communicating strategy.
- Encourage a group culture that balances individual scientific excellence with efficient and effective delivery of portfolio goals.
- Emphasized therapeutic areas of interest include the skin, gastrointestinal tract, and joints of patients with autoimmune diseases; breast, prostate and gastrointestinal tissues from tumors; and adipose, liver tissue and systemic inflammation in patients with cardio-metabolic disorders.
- Core biology themes include stromal cell-leukocyte cross-talk within and between organs (e.g. gut-liver axis), role of ECM in intercellular communication, seeding and trafficking of immune cells in tumors, tissue resident immunity, role of stem cell niches in inflammation and tissue repair, and contribution of local parenchymal cells in the initiation, maintenance, and resolution of inflammation.
- The group leader must exhibit expertise in relevant scientific areas such as:
- Tissue-Leukocyte cross-talk
- Complex co-culture systems and organoids
- Systems Immunology and single cell technologies
- Tissue resident immunity
- Innate inflammation
- Immune tolerance
- Tumor-immune cell interactions
- Accountable for the delivery of a required number of new assays, platforms, and portfolio programs per year of high quality, with a good track record of advancing programs to Proof of Concept.
- Encourages all colleagues working on the exploratory portfolio to exhibit scientific excellence, innovation, and enthusiasm for projects, to create a culture of ownership that leads to successful delivery.
- Supports exploratory group by routinely meeting and negotiating with partner line managers to communicate priorities from Inflammation and Immunology leadership.
Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.
- Ph.D., M.D., M.D./Ph.D., or equivalent training.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience leading a medium to large group of scientists.
- 7-10 years of experience in pharmaceutical R&D preferred but not essential.
- Strong working knowledge of medical issues, diseases, and immunology.
- Substantial experience in relevant areas of investment in I&I, Oncology, and/or Internal Medicine.
- Knowledge of competitive landscape for therapeutic areas of interest.
- Demonstrated ability to work across functions and lines in a matrix environment and experience managing through complex organizational decisions.
- Combines knowledge from multiple sources to generate novel and high impact ideas. Gets to the core of the problem, asks insightful and probing questions and gets to the next steps effectively.
- Record of delivering exploratory platforms and programs that survive to proof of mechanism.
- Demonstrated ability to apply knowledge, techniques and skills to identify new, ‘druggable’ targets.
- Strong record as a people leader with excellent motivational skills.
- Internally and/or externally acknowledged as a scientific leader.
Other Job Details:
- Eligible for Relocation Package
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider’s name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development
Incyte – Postdoctoral Fellow – Pharmaceutical approaches to target GvHD
Department: Inflammation & Autoimmunity
Location: Incyte Corporate Headquarters, Wilmington, Delaware
Incyte is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery, development, and commercialization of novel medicines to meet serious unmet medical needs in oncology and inflammation and autoimmunity. Incyte is committed to the rigorous pursuit of research and development excellence to improve the lives of patients, make a difference in health care, and build sustainable value. The Company strives to discover and develop first-in-class and best-in-class medicines-advancing a diverse portfolio of large and small molecules.
Postdoctoral Fellow – Pharmaceutical approaches to target GvHD
We are seeking a highly motivated individual to join the Incyte Postdoctoral research program. The successful candidate will work in a highly interactive organization and be part of the Inflammation and Autoimmunity (IAI) team working with a broader cross-functional team of dedicated scientists to study the potential of targeting novel pathways as a therapy against GvHD using pre-clinical models and clinical samples.
The candidate will be strongly encouraged to attend and present the results of the research at major (inter)national conferences and to publish in high impact peer-review journals. He/she will have the opportunity to collaborate with various group across the discovery organization (including pharmacology, antibody therapeutics and translational sciences) and gain insights in the drug discovery and development process.
The position is for a 2 year contract, with the possibility for extension for an additional year.
- Strong scientific background with a Ph.D. and up to 2 years of post-doctoral experience associated with a demonstrated track record of performing excellent science.
- A strong immunology background is required, with previous GvHD and/or autoimmunity strongly preferred.
- Ability to independently design, execute and interpret research. Working knowledge of flow cytometry, animal models, proteomics and in vitro/ex vivo cell based assay is required.
- The candidate will need to be a dynamic and innovative scientist possessing:
- the ability to balance execution of multiple tasks to accomplish predefine goals
- a high level of emotional intelligence and willingness to work closely and collaboratively with other functional groups both internal and external to the company
- exceptional verbal and written communication skills
Start your application at https://www.incyte.com/join-us/careers